Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stayin' (Alive?)

I also decided to stick around Fresno/Clovis for the next 4 years or so. There were various factors that came into play and I'd rather not mention them all, but I will say some of them. One is that I'd be far away from my family, and while I know that I have to "cut the umbilical cord" someday, I don't know that I'm quite ready to do that when I have no certainties where I was planning to move to. I don't have some amazing job waiting for me. The only thing that was really driving me to it was "it's a change of scenery, a change of pace." I can get this change here, just by moving out on my own after I get my new car.
But why 4 years? Because in a year or so I'll be wanting to start the masters program, and I can just do that here at CSUF. I would probably have greater chances of being accepted at CSUF than at SJSU anyway. I don't know if transferring with a masters works very well, and I'd rather just start it somewhere and finish it at the same place.
I still want to experience what it is like to live alone, and that is another thing that is driving me to stay here. With my current wages, I can nearly afford rent+utilities. I would have to possibly pick up another job or more hours at one of them in order to get my insurance (health and auto) covered, plus monthly car payments.

I'm thinking about asking my parents if I can stay with them a little longer to get my car paid off completely before I attempt to move out. If I'm extremely strict with my spending between now and October (my original hope-to-move-out-date), I could possibly have $5000-6000 saved up, possibly more. If I keep with my current work load now, then I could possibly have a new car paid off by March or April next year if I didn't have to worry about paying rent/utilities/other bills. I understand if they tell me I can't stay with them until I get the car paid off, because I'm 27 and I've been living with them long enough by now. I'm tired of being any sort of a burden to anyone. I'd much rather be at a point in my life where people aren't worrying about me in any way as far as "making ends meet."

Anyway, that's enough for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment