Saturday, February 28, 2009

Week 1 down, 8 to go!

Last week was Week 1 of the Couch to 5K program. The first day was a little rough because I hadn't gotten any physical activity since the beginning of the month, and even then it was just a Bollywood workout DVD that caught my eye at Target (and it's super fun, too). Tomorrow I start week 2, and I'm excited to start it off. I know that rest days are essential but sometimes I feel like I should just be doing something anyway. Instead, I force myself to take it easy for now. Once I finish the program I plan on running 5k two days a week, doing a longer distance, like maybe 10k or more one day, and two other days a week I'll do some speed drill type stuff just to change it up a little bit.

I've been keeping a food diary and writing everything down that I've been eating, even if it's just "half a cookie" or something along those lines. Everything negative and positive is being written down so I can understand truly what my relationship with food is like. I planned on just eating like I normally do, for the most part, for a week or two and seeing where I should be making my cuts. I've already decided that I will not eat food within 3 hours of my bedtime, even on my overnight shifts at work, I stop allowing myself food after 6:30 AM. I've also cut soda and other caloric drinks out, too. I think the only exception will be if I get another cold and my throat is as sore as it was the last time I was sick, I drank a lot of OJ because I needed to get the calories and the vitamin C!

Anyway, since October I've kept off 12 pounds, and while the number could easily be bigger, I'm looking at it in an optimistic light. Hey, 12 pounds lighter in 4 months is better than being the same amount the whole time.

I've also been taking my blood pressure 2-3 times a week. I've been right around the normal range for the most part. The highest it's been over the last couple of weeks was 122/83. The lowest was something like 118/73. I can't recall the lowest exactly, and I don't have the chart I've been keeping track of it on with me at work.

Anyhow, tomorrow starts week 2 of the Couch to 5k program, and I'm super motivated!

Mom was also telling me about a gym in the Clovis area where you pay $15 a month and get to use it as much as you want. I'll have to look into that for future strength training purposes!

No comments:

Post a Comment