Sunday, February 22, 2009

Couch to 5K

I'm going to be starting the Couch to 5K program later on today after I get off work (at 8:30 AM) and get a small nap. I've been relatively sedentary since high school and I'm done with being in my own way on the path to physical fitness. I'm done making excuses or putting up reasons for why I can't be physically active and I can't eat properly. Granted, I'll never go on a "diet," instead I will take positive suggestions from other diet plans and find what works best for me. In general I've noticed that when I say "I'm going to go on a diet," and become super restrictive of what I can and can't eat, after a week or two of doing well, I end up binge eating everything I see that can fit in my mouth. I'd rather instead make healthier decisions.

For example, because of the most recent course of antibiotics I've been on, the doctor told me not to have dairy 4 hours before or after taking it. I used to have ice cream or some other type of dessert (i.e. brownies) a couple of hours before bed. Because of this course of antibiotics I haven't had a completely unhealthy snack before bedtime. The closest I get is I've had a rice cake with peanut butter on it, or a handful of Reese's pieces (which isn't completely unhealthy in moderation). Since the beginning of the year I've lost 7 pounds, and I'm not sure if it's entirely related to being sick or if it's also related to the last week and a half or so that I've been on these pills and haven't been allowing myself to have super fattening snacks before bedtime.

Speaking of being sick, I don't feel as sick anymore. I feel about 85% better. If you had asked me how I felt the day I went to the doctor, I would have told you 5-10%. On top of being sick, I was depressed because I was sick. I feel so much better aside from some occasional uncontrollable coughing.

I'm only partially embarrassed to mention this, but at the moment I weigh 260.5. I say "only partially embarrassed" because I'm motivated to fix it. The highest I've been in my life was last year when I hit 272 in October. I'm not really setting an ultimate goal, but my preliminary goal is 158. I'm setting it as such because that would put my BMI at 24.9, which would be in the healthy range. (Healthy BMI is 18.5-24.9, which would put a healthy weight for my height at 121-158. I know I'd look awful at 121 because of my frame, so I figured I'll aim for the high side of the healthy range until I get down to it. Then I'll see if I want to lose a little more or just aim to maintain that weight.) I think I will set minor goals along the way, but for now I just want to see how much I can lose in an average week by just being more active and eating better.

No comments:

Post a Comment